Monday, June 22, 2009

I Blame Myself

People who know me know that I have a 5 run rule when I go to Mariner games. If the M's are leading or trailing by 5 runs after the 7th inning of the ballgame, I don't feel bad for taking off early. With the M's pathetic offense the past few years how could anyone blame me for trying to jet out early to beat traffic?

The rule has never let me down.

However, last Friday I disobeyed my own rule and it came back to bite me in the ass!!

Trailing 3-0 against the Diamondbacks in an otherwise forgettable game, I decided that I'd seen enough and coerced my friend to take off early after the M's hit in the bottom of the 7th. In fact, after being shut down 1-2-3 in the 7th I felt confident that the M's weren't going to do anything. They couldn't hit the entire game even against a crappy pitcher that was overpowering us with 89 mph fastballs. How many times have we seen this before? We were well on the way to another shutout.

To make matters worse Griffey (my favorite player) was not even playing. We had to watch Sweeney uncomfortably fidget with his batting gloves for 3 previous at bats that merited nothing in return but aggravation and discontent. Why was he playing over Griffey in the 4 hole anyway against a poopy right handed pitcher? I didn't know but it gave me even more validity to leave early. I can't remember a time when Griffey ever pinch hit and knew deep down that I wouldn't get a chance to see him bat.

I blame myself.

Talking to my friend the entire 15 minute walk back to the car I kept bitching about the M's lack of offense. How frustrated I was to watch another outstanding pitching performance go to waste...but when we got into the car and turned on the radio--it was another story all together.

There was a buzz on the radio with people cheering loudly. Apparently, Russ "The Muscle" just went deep to put the score at 3-1 and then the next batter followed with a base knock. One on nobody out. Niehaus (in top form) told us that Griffey was walking into the on deck circle. The crowd seemed ready to explode--Niehaus noting that the fans were giving Griffey a standing ovation at the time. I was ready to slap myself--my friend ready to slap me too. This was the moment we had been waiting for...a chance to see Griffey with the game on the line. A chance to recreate some of the 95 magic.

Niehaus even mentioned how the place would explode if Griffey went deep. Sure enough--he did. First pitch. "Swung on and belted..." Chills raced down my spine. Hairs on my arm began to stand up. The kid did it again. This would be a moment I could tell my kids and grandkids about someday.

Sadly, I was not there to see it. And for that reason I will never EVER disobey my rule again.

But it sure makes for one hell of a story.

I have no one to blame but myself.

1 comment: