Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mariner Optimism

I am and always have been a Mariner optimist. Before every season, even with a lack of talent, I believe through some sort of wizardry the Mariners can win the American League West.

Don't ask me why I feel this way, especially in the years when Jamie Moyer was our staff ace. You shouldn't expect to make the playoffs when your best pitcher is only a 10-15 game winner every season. Still, I expect to see a new banner hanging every year in the best stadium in America. Safeco Field!

Halfway through the season, the Mariners are fighting for every win and find themselves just a few games back in the West. Am I an optimist to believe the M's can make the playoffs? Beltre is out for 6-8 weeks and being replaced by an aging veteran, Chirs Woodard, and a guy who never sees first base in Cedeno. The bottom of our lineup is plagued with guys hitting barely 200. We have some of the worst hitting catchers in the league in Jojima, Johnson, and Burke.

Nonetheless, I still believe the Mariners can make the playoffs. Bedard can come back and give the rotation a shot in the arm. Olson can pitch the rest of the year like he did in Dodger Stadium. Griffey can get hot and hit a few more homers. Jose Lopez is crushing the ball and will end the year around .280-.300. as usual. In other words, anything can happen.

I am leaning towards the Mariners buying come July 31st trade deadline if we are still in the playoff picture. But I want the M's to buy smart. I am not willing to trade away the future for a run at the playoffs today. We just don't have the pieces to do that yet.

I'm proposing we add a bat for cash. Most teams in the Major Leagues want to dump payroll come trade time. The Mariners can take advantage of the current market, add a bat for cash, and not give up any prospects. Instead of trading Washburn and Bedard for below average prospects, since MLB "insiders" don't believe teams will give up much come the deadline, the M's can stockpile draft picks by letting their class A and B prospects leave in free agency.

The Mariners have options, and July is going to be a fun month for baseball in Seattle!

No comments:

Post a Comment